Not The Response I Expected

And speaking of the unexpected...

I remember back when I first became aware of Andrew W.K. I heard Party Til You Puke first and then I saw a video for Party Hard. I thought both were awesome. It was this perfect bubble gum Nintendo metal. I couldn't tell if he was serious or if it was all a joke, and then I decided it didn't matter. It was such a big sound, like five thousand guitars all playing the same big power chords backed with the biggest possible bass drum. He also got big (sorta big) at the same time as The Strokes and while they were super cool and a little indifferent he was about as uncool as could be (which I think is pretty cool).

Anyway, now he's on NPR and has come out with an album of solo piano improvisations.


Comments

nick said…
YES!!!! Finally Andrew W.K. has gained the left-wing legitimacy he deserves!
Anonymous said…
Ha! My only friends who are in agreement with me about the awesomeness of AWK!
Mike said…
The piano album is solid. He's a very talented musician.

I saw AWK live a few years back. The band allowed any/all fans to come up on the stage and join them, while AWK himself hoisted people up onto his shoulders. He also does huge leg kicks.

Lots of fun and we did indeed party hard.