The Monthly Challenge


I think every month now has its challenge. November is National Novel Writing Month. October is Inktober, where the challenge is to do one ink drawing every day for the month. March is March of Robots, and the challenge is to produce one robot drawing, painting, sculpture or whatever every day for the month of March.

I did it last year, and I'm doing it again this year. It's fun. I'm attracted to the daily challenge thing (I did a dancer a day for all of 2012), but I think to some extent it's a candy-like attraction. It sounds good to do something every day, but what does it really produce? I'm going to have a bunch of robot drawings. I'm drawing robots when I could be working on the next book.

I think the daily challenges are a good way to kickstart yourself, but this March, I'm kind of feeling like it's just a distraction, but I'm so stubborn that I feel that since I've started it I have an obligation to complete it.

Here's what I'm...

Reading:
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Peplum by Blutch
Full Metal Alchemist Vol. 1 by Hiromu Arakawa
Batmanga Vol. 1 by Jiro Kuwata
Palookaville #21 by Seth
Oishinbo: Sake by Tetsu Kariya and Akira Hanasaki

Watching:
Orphan Black
Shut Eye

Listening:
The Social Network Soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
The Solos by Buddy Rich

Comments