The Neverending Drawing


Drawings like this satisfy my completist itches.

I'd like to know where completism comes from. What is this desire to possess all of something? Why this need to have every single Kinks album, Star Trek movie, or Kurt Vonnegut book? It makes me get things that I don't even really like. It's this little sleeping monster that's just waiting for me to make a mistake.

I can't buy a James Bond movie because if I buy one James Bond movie, I will feel obligated to buy all of the James Bond movies. I suppose I could compromise and simply buy all of the Bond films featuring the actor of the original Bond movie hypothetically purchased, but then I'd have a ton of Roger Moore Bond movies (because naturally my first hypothetical purchase would be the Man with the Golden Gun), and how can I hypothetically own a bunch of Roger Moore Bond movies and not hypothetically own a single Sean Connery Bond movie, which means I'll need to get Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, and Diamonds are forever. However, in this hypothetical situation, I would own the first fifteen Bond films except On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and in all honesty, if I got You Only Live Twice (which has one of the worst lines ever in it), how could I justify not having On Her Majesty's Secret Service. And then it's just the two Timothy Dalton films...

It's just too slippery a slope.

With drawings like this, I can keep a little control.




Comments