One Page?

Both Flower and Fade and Joe and Azat were drawn in Vermont. Part of the reason for working on them there was so that I would be away from distractions. It's calm. It's peaceful. It's really easy to sit at a drawing board all day every day and crank out pages. I could average about two pages a day without really breaking a sweat.

But, I'm not sure that it was that mentally healthy. It was an awful lot of time in my own head. Talking to yourself is fine, but I talked to myself all the time. And you get into some weird conversations when it's just yourself. I'd rehash conversations I had in elementary school. I'd finally convince Jonah Neale that he was wrong about the quality of the film-making in Fire Birds. In my head that is.

It's good to have regular social interaction.

Part of the goal with this book is to manage to balance a social life with getting work done. The first week was pretty good. I got five pages done, went to work, had a few nights out and generally enjoyed myself.

This week... not so good. I went to the beach, tried a new sushi place, saw a friend from college that I hadn't seen in years, shot a few games of pool, watched Rio Bravo, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, had drinks after work with co-workers, bought Know Better Learn Faster by Thao with the Get Down Stay Down (which is amazing), and had some pretty good long and involved conversations about movies.

All of which means I'm doing pretty well on the social interaction end.

But I only got one page finished. No good. Not going to have a finished draft done by Christmas at that rate.

Hopefully, next week will be better.

Comments

VsTheBadGuys said…
Keep at the book please :)
Dave M! said…
Shitty scan of a great composition. Wish I could read this.

David Marshall, Art Guy
My Illustrations | My Illustration Friday | My Comics | Art of the Comic Book